How to Get Rid Of Canker Sores in Mouth
Canker sores are shallow crater shaped swellings on the tongue or on the inside part of the cheek or lip. The sores have red borders and a yellow or white center. They can get extremely painful making it hard to eat or talk and the fact is that you can develop more than one at a go worsening the situation for you. They can occur in any individual and some even experience the sores severally.
The cause of canker sores is not really known even though they seem to run in families but they are not contagious. You are likely to develop the sores if you are tired and stressed, hurt the mouth in a way, if you are in your menstrual cycle, you wear braces, have food allergies, if you drink beverages that are too acidic and if your body lacks enough minerals and vitamins such as folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Canker Sores-
1. Aloe Vera – It is an effective remedy for the canker sores because it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It also has curative properties which help in easing the pain and reducing the inflammation thus speeding up healing. Extract fresh gel from a leaf and apply to the sore severally during the day. The gel can also be taken by mouth thrice daily to get fast relief. Fresh leaves are best, but you can also buy the juice or gel in the market if you do not have the plant.
2. Coriander – It has anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antiseptic properties, making it effective in getting rid of the pain and discomfort that comes with the cores. The leaves can be boiled and the water used as mouthwash. The juice can also be taken severally to achieve good results with the sores.
3. Honey – It works by soothing the affected area, but it also has antibacterial and antiseptic properties that make it ideal for the treatment of canker sores. It can be applied directly onto the sores to ease inflammation and pain. It can be mixed with turmeric powder.
4. Salt – It helps by drawing the fluid contained in the sores thus boosting healing process. A teaspoon should be mixed in a cup of lukewarm water and used as mouthwash to disinfect the mouth. After swishing, you can apply a pinch of the salt onto the sore to ease pain and speed healing.
5. Baking soda – It helps in neutralizing the acidity and also soothed the inflammation and pain. It can be mixed with water to make a paste which should then be applied to the sores using a cotton ball or fingers. It can then be rinsed off using lukewarm water after a few minutes. The soda can also be used in water to rinse the mouth.
6. Sage – It has calming properties which offer instant relief to the inflammation and pain. The leaves can be added in boiling water and left to sit for at least 10 minutes, then the water used to rinse the mouth when it is cool. Powdered dry leaves can also be placed directly onto the sores for the same effect.
Other great remedies for the canker sores are cayenne pepper and tea tree oil.