Headaches are very common and they can get extremely painful making it a challenge to get anything done. The pain can be so unbearable to even cause vomiting and nausea. Headaches are commonly caused by sinus problems, migraines, restlessness, tension, stress, dehydration and sleep deprivation. The first thing people reach out for are over the counter pain killers like aspirin or advil.
However, there are other very good natural remedies that offer fast relief in getting rid of a headache without medication or pills –
1. Water – It is possible to get dehydrated without even noticing it. If you suspect dehydration when the headache begins, then reach out for a glass of water to get fast relief. Sports drinks can also be helpful in getting rid of a headache fast because they contain electrolytes that treat headaches resulting from dehydration and tension. Alcohol will only cause further dehydration so stay clear of it.
2. Ice pack – A cold compress is another good remedy for headaches. It numbs the pain when placed on the forehead. This is because it shrinks the blood vessels to improve proper circulation. It is an ideal remedy for getting rid of headaches resulting from sinus problems and stress. Wrap ice cubes or crushed ice in a thin towel and hold it on the forehead for several minutes. A cold cloth can also do the trick when placed on the forehead.
3. Hot water – It might seem unreasonable, but it does work by relaxing any tense muscles thus alleviating throbbing pain. A hot water bag can be used on the back of the neck. You can also direct hot shower to this area to deal with the headache. To improve circulation you can also dip hands in bearable hot water for at least 10 minutes or dip the legs to deal with chronic headaches before heading for bed. This treatment is best for stress related headaches.
4. Lemon – It is relaxing and refreshing making it ideal for the treatment of headaches without taking any medicine. It also helps in maintaining a balance in body acidity and alkalinity. Warm fresh lemon juice can be taken to reduce headache intensity. The lemon crusts can also be applied onto the forehead when pounded to paste to relieve the pain.
5. Apples – They restore acid-alkaline balance offering relief. The smell of green apples reduces migraine headaches. Apple cider vinegar can also be used for the same purpose. Sprinkle an apple piece with salt and eat before taking a glass of warm water in the morning. If using apple cider vinegar, add at least 3 tablespoon to steaming water, then cover your head with a towel so you can inhale the steam.
6. Peppermint – It has soothing and calming properties that help in treating the headaches. You can make herbal tea using dry peppermint or massage peppermint oil to the temples, back of the neck and the jaws to get instant pain relief. It can also help to inhale peppermint steam for headaches accompanied by vomiting and nausea.
Other helpful home remedies you can use to get rid of headaches without medicine include ginger, eucalyptus oil, cinnamon and betel leaves.